June 17, 2010
We Torontonians are currently in the middle of our first “Summer Festival” of the season — Luminato (billed as the “Toronto Festival of Arts + Creativity”). Running til June 20, it’s a pretty eclectic mix of free and ticketed events incorporating dance, music, film and art. I went to see Rufus Wainwright last night, performing a very weird solo piano piece dressed in a long black gown with a feather collar…gives you some idea.
But there are LOTS of other (more accessible?) festivals coming up over the next couple months — here are some highlights:
- Pride Toronto – our epic Gay weekend and parade (June 24-July 4)
- Fringe Theatre Festival – 150 different shows! (June 30-July 11)
- Summerlicious – 150 of Toronto’s top restaurants offer special – and cheap! – menus (July 9-25)
- Festival of India – some of this food is actually free! (July 17-18)
- Caribana – our wild and crazy Caribbean extravaganza (July 28-August 1)
- Taste of the Danforth – if your taste buds are more Greek-centric (August 6-8)
- Festival of Beer – if you need something to wash all that food down with; great music, too – at Exhibition Place (August 5-7)
- Summerworks – more than 40 plays, concerts and workshops (August 5-15)
- And, of course, the good ol’ CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) closes down the summer festivities (August 20- September 6)
So pack your sunscreen and party hats and come on down – we’re waiting for you!